Thursday, November 22, 2007

 

SECOND THURSDAYS

Here is some video from the first of the new monthly night I am now running in the Montague Arms in New Cross.


This is a video featuring Daren Callow, Fred Lindberg, Victor Mount and myself.


This is a video of Fred


This is a video of me doing some new sketches.


The first night seemed to go very well even though I had a few last minute problems. Charlie Tweed canceled because he had got the dates mixed up for the next Alma Enterprises private view and we realized they were doing performances the same night, would I compete? Did I want to compete with Alma? I had also planned that The Fucks would headline but George Fuck decided he didn’t want to do it any more 2 days before the show and after I had already put about 400 flyers out with their name on. This also made me panic a little. However Daren Callow stepped forward and said he would play an extra twenty minutes and Fred Lindberg from Deviant Art turned up and charmed the audience with some song from The Peace. Victor Mount also put in an excellent performance and in blaze of rock n roll euphoria fell off his guitar amp at the end of the set.
I wasn’t sure how the event would be received as most of the acts usually perform in art galleries and I wasn’t sure how the pub would react to them. There were a couple of moment when I was up on stage reading poems and waving about some fruit and vegetables when I could see the venue managers at the bar at the back and I wasn’t sure what on they were thinking. But it turned out they loved it. They asked if I could do more nights and said to get even weirder acts. They said that New Cross was now full of music venues and the promoters all do the same thing (there was an article in Metro the same day about New Cross becoming New Camden), they want something that is a bit different.
It all worked out nicely in the end.
For the next show I have booked Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer to perform some hip hop in the Queens English and we also have Princess Penang who will be bringing inner contentment to the audience with some marshmallows, acoustic rock, trampolines,and a plastic penis. I also booked my brother Theo’s band Opposite the Hotel to do some of their prog / indy rock, however their bassist Johnny Steele had a bit of a funny turn at a gig last week and has done a runner. However Theo had promised to come on his own and do some songs on his own whatever, it might work out for the best, as I didn’t want to lug their kit down from Norfolk anyway. My advice to young musicians is don’t form a band.
After Christmas Mark McGowan has promised he will perform a piece called Sex with Ghosts which involves ectoplasm.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?