Wednesday, May 30, 2007

 

The final countdown...

It is getting near to the final Goldsmiths final shows. Pressure and anxiety is building here. In six weeks time old swimming baths on Laurie Grove Road, which are home to the Goldsmith College Post Graduate Fine Art Studios, will be turned into a grand exhibition. It will be the biggest show of my career so far, not only will it decided the final grade for my Postgraduate Studies, but it will also be visited by the important and influential people of the London Art world who will probably decided the rest of my career…

…And I don’t have any fucking idea what I am going to show them.

I needed to come up with something shocking and sensational to get peoples attention… so I have made this publicity shot...

The problem is that there is little left that can really shock art audiences. Only the other day I was watching a colleague from art college defecate into a glass jar. It was uncomfortable at the time, but it has all been seen and all been done before.

Nudity in art is expected. Not being naked was the most shocking thing I could do. This is a picture of me keeping my pants on in an art gallery.

Nobody really want to see my dangly bits, but that also admits to a conservatism and repression. Is conservatism and repression bad? That is a very difficult question.

I suppose a photo of a man in socks and pants should have been funnier, but it wasn’t. I’d accidentally had one too many in the Dog and Bell the night before and wasn’t feeling very cheerful the morning of the photo shoot. The piece is supposed to be about discomfort anyway.

I don’t know if not being funny is good thing.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?