Saturday, September 23, 2006

 

Road kill

The filming with Gary Steven rapped just in time to catch the train to the Ipswich for my gig. I found that I had been billed as an “Angry Poet”.

The first half of my set went stormingly well but the second half later in the evening after the bands was a struggle. It seems odd to want support or warm up slot earlier in the evening because they are not always the most glamorous but they seem to be where my work is most suited. I enjoy the struggle and potential failure of warming up an audience and revelling in the fact that I am in the position of being second best to the main act. It also helps with spoken word that the audience is quieter and more observant at the start of the evening before they have time to get drunk.

The Ipswich gig is my last booking for the time being which is relief as I get a break for a little while. Once I have cleared the backlog of jobs I had postponed due to my hectic schedule, I am looking forward to developing some new material over the autumn. I have already started planning a new music project with Sam Curtis, Charlotte from The Rust Bucket and The Man From Below.

I got a phone call this week from a chap called Fergus I met in Canterbury while I was doing Not For Human Consumption in 2005. Furgus worked at the venue we were performing and after hearing about the Blo Boys songs he told us that he had a badger pelt from a badger he had eaten. He had found the badger and many other dead animals by the side of the road on the way to work. Furgus cycled the route several times a day to and from his home in the woods to the whole-food restaurant where he worked and he therefore knew that all this meat was fresh and he had started eating it. He is now shooting a film for BBC3 about eating road kill and asked if he could suggest some of our music to the producers for the sound track. He said the producers seemed to miss his point that he didn’t set out to dine on cute little animals, he was just making the best of a sad situation. He wanted Angry Badger as it suggested a nice sentiment about woodland animals getting revenge on mankind. It will probably end up on the cutting room floor, but I would be perfect if Blo’ Boys got their first national broadcast on a show about eating animals that had been run over by cars. Furgus’s website is www.wildmanwildfood.co.uk

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?