Sunday, August 06, 2006

 

Back to work

The Rag and Bone show at Three Colts closed last Sunday with a evening of performance. Closing parties are never as much fun as opening parties, but we had a few people along for the final night at Three Colts. Unfortunately the other acts I had hoped to get had either declined the offer or pulled out a few days before so I was left on my own. I decided to be both support act and headline act for the evening.

I opened with a set of old material carefully chosen from some less successful projects. I began with a few extracts from Le Tour De Squirrel which was my 2005 touring show which only ever managed one date in Canterbury. The finally of the first set was a medley of Tony Benn songs from the first Blo Boys EP in 2001. I had been trying to write some new material for the show but hadn’t come up with any great inspiration but trying to rework the old stuff was good fun and added something a little different to the set.

Packed up the show this week and then put my tie on and went back to East Anglia to find some work so I could pay a few bills. I run website design business called Purple Network and most of my trade is from contact I built up while I was based back in Blo’ Norton.

While I was back I saw Theo and got to pick some vegetables from his garden he had been working on. Theo has also built a recording studio in the shed and had been practicing with a new line-up of his old band Opposite the Hotel. Though they were now much more musically competent, they were having a few problems with front man Tom Cutler writing too many epic prog rock guitar solos. I decided to use the opportunity with the studio and get the Blo Boys back together for a session. We recorded some rough demo versions of Focualt and Judith Butler. Our drummer Jeep also got a chance to record a demo of a song he has written about Syd Barret. Hopefully we can fit in some more practices before we return to the stage at Ditch Licker on 26th August.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?