Sunday, May 28, 2006

 

GLIMPSE and MEALS AND SUVS


Had a busy week. I did a solo performance at Glimpse on Tuesday at 43 South Moulton Street and also appeared as part of The Union for a show at Meals and SUVs, Doleston, on Friday night. This entry will be brief as I have work to catch up on for College and for my business, before Outcider Art this Friday and a residency with Gary Stevens for Whitstable Biennial from next Sunday. It is all getting a little too much and I have been doing a lot of very long days, but Whitstable should be a chance to get away for a few day.

Glimpse on Tuesday was great fun. The exhibition was a charity do in support of Thames Broadway and was organise by DegreeArt.com who sell artwork by graduates. I was invited to perform for the VIPs. I was told when I took the gig that Cherie Blair had been invited and it sounded like a chance to have a bit of a word with her about what her family and neighbours had been up to, but she did not turn up. However I did get as much free beer as I could drink and I met some other interesting people.




I had a video screen in the bar which I missed because the beer made me loose track of the time, but my friend Fox who attended said that the other video in the screening were all priced in the thousands of pound and mine was priced at £15. This was not usual shabby crowd of art student I usually expect at my gigs. The event was attended by a lot of people in smart suits who would probably be described as ‘cadre’ in French. They were people who could afford to buy or deal in painting and sculptures prices in 4 figures or more. The audience seemed to enjoy my performance and surprisingly they were more readily accepting of it than some of the other crowds I had played to of late, however they were here to buy art and I had nothing to sell.

The Union is a group of 11 artists which includes myself. Exactly what that means is quite complex, we have developed some sort of horizontal power structure for making art shows. After our first show at Goldsmith a couple of weeks ago we were offered another show at Meal & SUVs in Dolestone, London. We immediately agreed, however it soon became clear that we only had a couple of weeks to put the show together and that a band called Black Autumn Gold would also be playing a gig in the venue later that night. We initially intened to just move our previous show to the venue because we had so little time to make new work, however we soon realise that our monitors, projectors artworks and gear was going to interfere with the band setting up their kit. We decided instead to literally support the band. We spent the evening playing at being roadies, selling promotional merchandise, guarding the doors and tending the bar. However we had to hastily knock together merchandise to sell, promotional items and make CREW t-shirts for ourselves so as we could be identified. It was hard work, but the evening was actually very good fun. You can check out the website I made for the band at www.blackautumngold.co.uk

The show was an interesting move for the Union because with 11 artists with 11 egos it was very hard work getting everyone to agree on anything for the previous show. Because this time we chose to be come subservient to Black Autumn Gold we could forego our precious egos and work together to help the band.

Theo is coming to Goldsmiths next week to do his lecture on art and radical politics, he has invited Mark Quinn [Fuxus] and John Topple to help. We have title the show OUTCIDER ART. It sounds like it might turn into some sort of revival of the Built Like a Truck Drives Like a Gallery symposiums for those who remember them. I think this will make a nice contrast to my recent work. Working with Theo and Quinn will be a much more developed and natural group dynamic compared to The Union and it will be a chance to demonstrate to my London audience that Frog Morris is not just a one man show.

Have decided that this is enough work for for me to be getting on with so I might skip the gorilla performance at Strawberry fair next saturday, but will see how I feel later in the week.

Comments:
Holy crap Frog you've got a blog!

I will paste it into my robot speaking browser and have it read to me by Audrey the robot.

Your London Theo Politics Media Quinn Cider type adventures sound like fun.

Maybe me and Bob will feel compelled to make an appearance at some point.

I need to get a handle on where your philosophical position has moved to and what the nature of its movement has been. Diagonal booty dance with fashionable pointless angular guitar backing?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?